Taking care of a family member

I am very upset... I have just been phoned by the hospital. They told me that my mother is being released from the hospital tomorrow. I don’t know what do as she is going to need care because she is not able to take care of herself. and I live out of town and not able to take care of her. What do I do?

Thanks so much for contacting us about your urgent situation. As promised, I am following up our telephone conversation with a quick e-mail.

First, find the social worker or discharge planner or head nurse on the unit in the hospital and ask for an immediate family meeting (by telephone if necessary) to discuss your concerns. The hospital staff will alert the HCCSS - Home & Community Care Support Services (formerly the LHIN) case manager assigned to the hospital about this situation. Express your concerns about your Mom's needs. Insist that an appropriate transition plan be put in place before the discharge takes place. The last thing anyone wants to happen is for your Mom to be discharged and then have to return to the Emergency department. The HCCSS can organize care for your Mom, based on her need for service. As additional support, involve your Mom's family doctor and let him/her know about your activities to ensure that a safe and durable transfer to home is planned.

You are your Mom's best advocate now... good luck!

 Questions and responses that reflect the nature of inquiry received. Names and circumstances have been changed.
  • Find a Home Care Provider
  • List of Members
  • Media